Pupil Premium & Free School Meals
Pupil Premium and Free School Meals: Every child being able to be successful at our school is part of our core values. We strongly believe that every child that walks through our gates each morning should be given every opportunity to reach their full potential.
With this in mind, if your child is eligible for ‘Free School Meals’ and you register them for this, we’ll receive extra funding called ‘The Pupil Premium’. We use this extra money to improve the educational provision and resources at the school.
What is Pupil Premium funding?
Pupil Premium funding from the government is given to schools to help pupils reach their full potential, regardless of their background or financial situation. It’s provided for pupils who:
- Are registered for free school meals
- Have been registered for free school meals at any point in the past 6 years
- Are, or have been, in care
- Have parents in the armed forces
At The Buckingham School, we get an extra £955 for every eligible pupil who is registered for free school meals. This extra money could make a real difference to the quality of education we offer.
For example, we’ve previously used Pupil Premium funding for:
- Educational provision/resources
- Academic interventions
- Wellbeing and self-esteem building interventions
Is my child eligible for free school meals?
Your child might be eligible if you access:
- Universal Credit - with an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400
- Income Support (IS)
- Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance (IBJSA)
- An income–related employment and support allowance (ESA)
- Child Tax Credit (with no Working Tax Credit) with an annual income of no more than £16,190
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of the State Pension Credit
If you receive Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit
If you are entitled to Child Tax Credit and also Working Tax Credit, you'll be eligible for free school meals:
- During the 4-week period immediately after your employment ceases
- After you start to work fewer than 16 hours per week
Does my child have to eat the Free School Meals?
No. Pupils who are registered for free school meals don’t have to eat them. If you’re eligible but you want your child to have packed lunches you should still register because the school will receive the funding which can support your child in other ways.
How do I register?
You only need to register once at the school.
To register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any questions or specific concerns regarding your potential application, please speak with Mrs Newall.
About Pupil Premium Funding
Pupil Premium funding has been allocated to schools since April 2011. To read the Pupil Premium Strategy Plan, please refer to the Policies page which can be found here.