Year 6 to 7 Transition for Sept 2020
In light of the current school closure situation, we are reviewing our programme for the transition of students from primary to secondary education.
We are going to take some time to make sure that we put together a programme which is as thorough and inclusive and supportive as possible so we just wanted to reassure you that we are thinking of our new students joining us in September and will continue to do so throughout these extraordinary times. Our commitment to making this process as positive and comfortable as possible remains unchanged.
As soon as we have a confirmed programme, we will be communicating it families and primary schools.
If you need anything from us, or have any questions or concerns, please do get in contact Kate Bones, School Admissions Officer at email@example.com.
We are delighted that you have chosen to join The Buckingham School in September 2020.
The Buckingham School has a thorough and comprehensive transition programme for all children moving up from primary school. We understand that starting secondary school can be very exciting yet, a little daunting experience for many students. Our staff understand this and work closely with the primary schools to try to make students transition into The Buckingham School as easy as possible.
Our transition includes:-
- Good communication with parents/carers detailing the transition process - we include a friendship form which gives children the opportunity to tell us in their own words, what their strengths and interests are, what they are looking forward to and to name a few students who are also moving to The Buckingham School in order that we can create tutor groups Friendship forms need to be returned to The Buckingham School by 27 March. In cases where your child is the only one from a school, we partner them up with children with similar circumstances and interests.
- Visiting your child's school - we work closely with the primary schools and arrange to meet every student who will be joining us in September. As part of the transition team, former students from the primary school join us for the school visit.
- Welcome Packs - we deliver welcome packs (including admission forms/consent forms) to your child's primary school to be taken home for completion. We ask for packs to be returned to The Buckingham School. Welcome packs will be delivered to primary schools during the week commencing 16 March 2020.
- Two Day Induction Days - Tuesday 7 July and Wednesday 8 July - We look forward to welcoming all our new students to a two day Induction programme on Tuesday, 7 July and Wednesday 8 July. Students will have been assigned to their tutor groups and will stay in that group for the two days and beyond into secondary school life. As well as getting to know their new classmates, they will have the opportunity to experience lessons and meet their Form Tutor. Our Induction Days are traditionally a very exciting and enjoyable experience for all.
- Parents and carers, along with their children, are invited on the evening of Tuesday, 7 July from 5.30pm to 7pm. Refreshments will be available to purchase prior to the evening’s events taking place from 6.15pm. A letter outlining the format for the Induction Programme is sent nearer the time.
- Extra Support Sessions throughout the Summer term - we also run sessions throughout the summer term for those children who need extra support with the transition from primary to secondary school. We work very closely with the primary schools to ensure all children make a smooth transition.